The Toblater Story

A journal of 6 food loving, sweet-toothed lasses persevering the never ending quandary against the utterly fattening Malaysian delicacies. Under the guidance of 2 trainers with opposing modus operandi, these lasses contend for “The Biggest Looser” title over the next 6 months. Follow their compelling tales of forced diets, loathed workouts, amusing treacheries, inspirational insights, infectious gossips and all things related/unrelated to this trivial tussle of feminine, yet feisty vixens

October 2, 2009

The OTHER side

A few weeks ago, I went to get my teeth checked at the hospital to prepare for my upcoming dive trip. A qualified health professional (HP) attended to me and said I needed to patch an old dental filling but at a later scheduled date (as she only attended to emergency cases). And yes, she did warn me that being in a 734(h1^8 hospital, the procedure would be done by an "in-the-process-to-be qualified" HP. It was a little unsettling, but the qualified HP managed to convince and reassure me that these "in-the-processers"(ITP) were well trained and shouldn't be too much of a hassle. And plus, I was gonna get a 4th or final year ITP who's had plenty of practice. I asked her how long it was gonna take. 'Half an hour' she said. Hence, I agreed to become a guinea pig/ lab rat for these ITPs to meddle with my oral cavity.

Yesterday was the given date for my appointment. It was my first time attending a clinic in a 734(h1^8 hospital, as a patient from the other side of the fence. And so after 4 phone calls & 2 sms-es (including one on a Sunday night, youch!) from this particular ITP to confirm my attendance, there I was at the clinic @10am. Just as I was walking through the clinic door, the ITP called again. I said 'I'm almost there' and I sms-ed this ITP as soon as I reached the designated waiting area. I waited for this eager ITP to appear and call out my name. Ten minutes later, I saw a particular ITP (there were dozens of them) walking nervously down the stairs, peering at the waiting area. Rather than stopping at the waiting area, this ITP went down another floor and came back up and went hiding behind the waiting area. Suddenly, the eager ITP decided to 'tembak' my handphone. I turned around and yes, it WAS that nervous ITP. I thought to myself, "Hmmmmmm....main tembak je ke dik? What happened to etiquette with patients? I'm pretty sure she would've recognized me as she walked down the stairs, seeing that I was sticking out like a sore thumb there with my white coat on."

Anyway, the ITP introduced herself and brought me to the treatment area. Firstly, she didn't even have a d3n7^£ chair ready just yet. So I had to stand around in the busy & noisy treatment room where people were staring at this stranger-who's-also-wearing-a-white coat wondering who I am while she looked for a chair and some clerking sheets for her to write on. She started questioning and clerked my stories in her clerking sheet. Good communication skills, no doubt. Friendly, but occasionally trying a bit too hard. Some relevant and a few irrelevant questions as well. But it started to tick me off when she started giving me *3d1c4£ advice. NOT d3n7^£, but *3d1c4£. In my mind I said, 'Just save it kid. No need to lecture me about things that ain't your domain'. I asked her what year are you in? "Third year." And again in my mind, 'I thought I was getting a 4th/ final year?' Then an empty d3n7^£ chair saved my life, after 10 minutes of that grueling history taking session.

So I sat in the chair, and she started preparing her stuff. It's definitely not reassuring, when you see the person handling the machinery that's about to enter your mouth unsure of how the machine works. No tissueslah, no itulah, no inilah. Asking her friends, camne nak buat itulah, nak buat inilah. I looked at the clock. 45 mins has passed since she 'tembak-ed' me. Damn, I need to get back to work! 'Dik, lama lagi ke nih?' asked a-starting-to-get-irritated me. "Sekejap ye d0(705, tgh tunggu lecturer saya datang."

A vicious cycle of "Lecturer datang-lecturer kasi words of wisdom-lecturer pergi-ITP buat kerja-ITP tak sure-ITP tanya kawan-ITP terpancut air kat muka patient(Banyak kali I must say!)-Air dripping kat tengkuk patient-tudung patient basah-mouth sucker tinggal dlm mulut patient for prolonged periods of time-lecturer datang-lecturer tak puas hati-ITP buat lagi sekali-lampu tersuluh kat mata patient-tissue habis-lecturer datang-and so on" then ensued.

To cut a long story short, by the time my tooth filling was complete my watch was pointing its long hand at 6 and short hand between 12 and 1. Yes, it did take 2.5 hours for the TEMPORARY restoration of my dental caries. Did you see that right, TEMPORARY? Yes. And I'm expected to come again next week to have permanent restoration of that same tooth. My jaw was aching, my mouth was too dry and my neck was soaked. I reluctantly gestured in a half nodding, half shaking my head kind of way when asked to come back next week.

So should I return and contribute to society? Or should I run and enjoy the swift, luxurious and overly priced treatment from the private HP ? Do I have the patience to go through all of this again? Especially when only such a short time has passed since the incident and all these memories are still fresh in my mind? Please help me decide.

What I learnt from this experience

There's a reason why a huge proportion of patients attending 80v35nM3n7/ 734(h1^8 hospitals are amongst the old age and pensioners category. They all have 2 things in common:

  1. A HELL LOT OF TIME to let pass by unnoticed (and not get too stressed out by it)

  2. The PATIENCE, MATURITY AND the WISDOM to entertain these diffident, timorous (and occasionally humourous to watch) ITPs who probably doesn't know 5h*7 about what they're talking about and doesn't know what's what when they come and examine/ treat you


And after being a patient myself, I now have a newly perceived respect for these patients. Thank you for tirelessly being so tolerant (day in and day out), totally understanding and fully accomodating with these ITPs needs/ demands and the needs of all those people who are undergoing their training and struggling whilst doing so!!  (and that certainly includes me!).

I am totally grateful to all my patients that have been patient with me during our encounters throughout my years of training and helped mold me into becoming who I am today. This entry is dedicated to them. And again, I would like thank you all from the bottom of my heart. ;)

1 comments:

t3mah on October 5, 2009 at 9:52 PM said...

Hope i don't have to wait for the 3$#@s7 check up this weekend! ngehehehe